Is Your Instagram Account Showing Signs of being Hacked? Learn How to Report Here
Instagram is mostly a positive experience in the social media world unless you notice suspicious activity on your account.
If you are afraid that your account might have been hacked, this article will take you through a step-wise guide with the help of which you can recover your Instagram account.
Indications of a Hacked Account
If you are not sure whether your Instagram account has been compromised with, here is a list of things that happen if your Instagram account is hacked:
- You cannot login to your account anymore: If you find yourself trying to login to your Instagram account multiple times to no avail, there is a likelihood of your account having been hacked. If you Instagram is not letting you login despite a secure account, there may be other reasons.
- Your friends notice something unusual on your profile: Your friends are mostly aware of the way in which you operate Instagram, the kind of comments you post or the kind of photos or videos you publish. Taylor Swift’s account was once hacked and it was her friend who informed her about it.
- Your account has followed random unknown people: If you see notifications of people approving your follow requests but do not recognize those people or remember sending them any such request, your account may have been hacked.
- Images are being posted: You browse through your profile and realize there are photos or videos that have been published but you had nothing to do with them. Be sure to delete such posts the first thing and reset your password.
- You keep getting logged out from your Instagram Account: this may be a sure shot indication of someone changing your password settings on Instagram. For a proper fix to this problem, you can check this link of an Instagram blog.
In any of the above scenarios, the first thing to do is to go to your settings and reset your password.
Hacked Account Damage Control-Steps to Follow
Once you have determined that your Instagram account has been hacked and someone else other than you has suspicious access to it, there are a number of things you can do.
More importantly, you should not feel alone in this situation, and know that this can happen to anyone, even to celebrities on Instagram.
Scenario #1: Account Posting Unauthorised Content
To secure your account in this case, follow the steps below:
- Go to your settings, and change your account password. Alternatively, you can send yourself a password reset email from the settings.
- It is recommended that you revoke access to any suspicious third-party apps.
Instagram has a set of Community Guidelines you should be aware of before granting any third-party app the access to your account.
Scenario #2: Account Hacked and Inaccessible
If you cannot login to your account altogether, these are the ways in which you can get help on the Instagram app:
- Open the Instagram app on your mobile device
- On the login page, select the “Get help signing in” option below “Log in”
- On Android, tap on “Use Username or Email” option and enter the relevant details. Tap on the blue arrow on the top right and a password reset link should have been sent on your email. You may also tap on the “Need more help?” option if you think your username and/or email was changed after your account was hacked.
- On iOS, enter your username or email or tap on “Need more help?” below the “Send Login Link” option. Follow the instructions on the screen.
- If your Instagram account is still inaccessible, turn on the two-factor authentication for additional security.
Scenario #3: I Sent an Email to Instagram
Sending or calling up Instagram support services can sometimes be unhelpful as they respond with generic messages like “Please visit the Help Center.”
You hacker is aware of all the help that Instagram offers on the Help Center so if you think the help and support page of Instagram is of no use to you anymore and your account is still hacked, you can create an alternate account and then report your hacked account.
Additionally, you should request all your friends on Instagram to report the hacked account. You may also report all your hacked account’s images as “spam or scam” so that your hacked account can be closed down.
Scenario #4: My Hacked Account is Still Active
If for some reason Instagram support has not been useful even after countless reporting from your side, you can write to Instagram on Twitter or Facebook on their public page.
A handy tip as per the testimonials of people whose accounts were hacked is to get some famous media company involved in your problem. Media companies are always publishing articles about issues related to social media and since their coverage is far and wide. There is a very good chance the team at Instagram does something about it.
Security Tips to Keep Your Instagram Account Safe
It is important to keep your account secure on Instagram by following some rules:
- Pick a strong password. Make a password of at least six alphabets, punctuation marks, and numbers. Your password should be different from other passwords you use for other platforms.
- Change your password regularly. Instagram also does automated security checks on its own and if you receive a message from Instagram asking you to change your password, then you most definitely should.
- Never give your password to someone you don’t know or don’t trust.
- Enable the two-factor authentication for better precaution. By enabling this setting, you get a code on your phone number or email every time someone tries to login from a different device. Only the code that has been sent to you can give you the access to your account on another device.
- Your email account should be secure too. Follow pertinent guidelines to make sure your email account is safe.
- Log out of Instagram as and when you use it on a computer or mobile phone that is on a sharing basis. A library device or a common device shared amongst multiple people is vulnerable. Never check the “Remember Me” box on the login page while operating on public devices.
- Be careful of approving any third-party access to your Instagram account.
A hacked Instagram account or any social media account is a daunting experience and nobody should have to go through such an ordeal.
But the internet is a place of the good and bad, and the possibility of someone hacking into your account is not a scenario from the fables.
Major hacking attempts and security breaches have happened in the past in which innumerable accounts have been tampered with.
We may not have control over such situations but we can prevent them by ensuring the safety of our accounts and knowing the proper steps to retrieve them.